Skip to Main Content

For information about COVID-19 policies and restrictions on campus, please visit the UCLA COVID-19 resources website.

UCLA Registrar's Office

In certain cases, students are classified as nonresidents but may be eligible for an exemption from paying nonresident supplemental tuition (NRST).

Students who believe they qualify for an exemption from nonresident supplemental tuition (NRST) must must first submit the Statement of Legal Residence (SLR). The SLR is reviewed by a residence deputy. If approved, the exemption is granted and NRST is waived. If not approved, the student must pay NRST.

The UC NRST exemptions web page summarizes nonresident supplemental tuition exemptions and waivers. Students who fit one of the categories below may be entitled to an exemption from NRST.


AB540 Nonresident Supplemental Tuition Exemption

Students (except nonimmigrant aliens) who attended for three years and graduated from a California high school (or attained equivalent) but currently pay NRST may benefit from the UC AB540 exemption policy. Students seeking this exemption should submit a UC AB540 NRST Exemption Application and Affidavit. The application includes information about UC AB540 policy and eligibility requirements.

Applying for an AB540 exemption does not in any way alter a student’s responsibility to pay, by the campus deadline, any nonresident supplemental tuition and associated fees that may be due before eligibility is determined.

Common Exemptions

  • Holder of a T or U nonimmigrant visa
  • Child, spouse, or registered domestic partner of a deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employee, killed in the course of his or her official duties, who was a California resident at the time of his or her death
  • Dependent child of a California resident (Condit bill)
  • Dependent or ward of the state through the California child welfare system (foster youth)

More Exemptions

  • Active-duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces stationed in California for non-educational purposes or who qualifies under the federal Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008
  • Former member of the U.S. Armed Forces, discharged after having been stationed in California on active duty for at least 366 days
  • Dependent child, stepchild, spouse, or registered domestic partner of an active-duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces stationed in California
  • Unmarried dependent child under age 21, spouse, or registered domestic partner of a member of the UC faculty who is a member of the Academic Senate
  • Unmarried dependent child, spouse, or registered domestic partner of a full-time UC employee who is assigned to work outside California
  • Graduate of a California high school operated by the Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs
  • Credentialed employee of a California public school
  • Amateur student athlete training at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista
  • Recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor and his or her children under age 28

To apply for any of these exemptions, students should complete a Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) and provide appropriate documentation. The SLR is part of the student admission process; the SLR form may also be downloaded here.

More information about AB540 and other NRST exemptions is available. Contact a residence deputy by e-mail or through the Message Center.


AB540 Exemption

Submit a UC AB540 NRST Exemption Application and Affidavit online. Also submit official California education transcripts to a residence deputy in the Registrar’s Office by e-mail or postal mail at

UCLA Registrar’s Office
Attention: Residence Deputy
Box 951429
Los Angeles CA 90095-1429

All Other Exemptions

Submit the completed SLR as part of the Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). Supporting documentation should be submitted through the Message Center or by mail to a residence deputy in the Registrar’s Office. Students using a separate SLR should also submit the SLR and documentation to a residence deputy.

Related Links