Skip to Main Content
UCLA Registrar's Office

All incoming students submit a statement of legal residence to determine their residence status for tuition purposes.

Student classification as resident or nonresident for tuition purposes is determined by the campus residence deputy in accordance with UC guidelines. Classification is based on evidence presented in the Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) and supporting evidence deemed necessary for determination.

Newly admitted undergraduate students and re-admitted graduate students complete the SLR as part of the Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). Students returning from an official leave of absence and re-admitted undergraduates must complete a separate Statement of Legal Residence (PDF) form. Failure to complete the statement delays assessment of registration fees.

Residence determination is made only after a student has been admitted to UCLA and completed the SLR.

The SLR is an opportunity to provide proof of California residence for tuition purposes. Requested supporting evidence may include financial records, registrations, and IDs. The form includes specific submission instructions as well as information on establishing residence, financial independence, residence rules, exemptions, and more.


New students and re-admitted graduate students: Submit the form to the appropriate admitting office as instructed on the Statement of Intent to Register (SIR).

Graduate students returning from leave of absence and re-admitted undergraduates: Submit the completed form to a Registrar’s Office residence deputy through the Message Center.