As custodian of student records, the Registrar’s Office is responsible for services including enrollment, degrees, classes, transcripts, grades, official publications, and more.
The UCLA Registrar’s Office supports the teaching, service, and research mission of the University. The office is part of the Student Affairs organization and has over 30 staff members to assist students, faculty, and campus staff. As custodian of student records, the office provides high quality service and leadership to the UCLA community through excellence in staff, technology, communications, and workplace environment. Forging the path between student data and technology, the Registrar’s Office delivers innovative solutions and quality services. The Registrar’s Office also operates as secretary to the faculty and as the official record-keeper of the University.
The Registrar’s Office is committed to ensuring the integrity, accuracy, and security of student academic records; fostering a collaborative and collegial professional staff environment; and providing prompt, high-quality, caring, and compassionate services for all constituents.
Frank Wada is the University Registrar and is responsible for the leadership and management of the programs, services, and operations of the office. He leads managers in the planning, development, and delivery of services. The University Registrar has operational authority and responsibility for services in the areas of academic publications and scheduling, academic record services, enrollment and degree services, and student information systems. Services include issuance of transcripts and diplomas, verification of attendance, release of public information, registration and enrollment, collection of grades, and production of official campus publications including the UCLA General Catalog and the quarterly Schedule of Classes.
A Brief History of UCLA
With only 11,000 inhabitants in 1880, the pueblo of Los Angeles convinced the state government to establish a State Normal School in Southern California. Enthusiastic citizens contributed between $2 and $500 to purchase a site; and on August 29, 1882, the Los Angeles branch of the State Normal School welcomed its first students to a Victorian building that had been erected on the site of an orange grove. By 1914 Los Angeles had grown to a city of 350,000 residents. The school moved to new quarters—a Hollywood ranch off a dirt road that later became Vermont Avenue.
In 1919 the school became the Southern Branch of the University of California and offered two years of instruction in Letters and Science. Third- and fourth-year courses were soon added; the first class of 300 students graduated in 1925. In 1927 the Southern Branch earned its new name: University of California at Los Angeles. The name was changed again in 1958 to University of California, Los Angeles.
More fascinating facts about UCLA can be found on the UCLA history and UCLA alumni history websites.