Skip to Main Content

For information about COVID-19 policies and restrictions on campus, please visit the UCLA COVID-19 resources website.

UCLA Registrar's Office

Identifying the term in which degree requirements will be completed initiates the steps that lead to award of a degree.

Declaration of candidacy and verification of the degree-expected term are processed through MyUCLA. The degree-expected term is the term in which a student expects to complete all degree requirements. A student must declare this term to receive a final degree audit.

Degree-Expected Term

A student must identify the term in which completion of degree requirements is expected by the time 160 units (172 units for engineering students) have been completed. The identified term must fall within the academic year or summer session subsequent to the term in which the 160/172 unit limit is reached or expected to be reached. Students who exceed the time-to-degree limit—two years for transfer students or four years for first-year students—must petition their College or school to change the degree-expected term.

Declaring Candidacy

Candidacy can be declared on MyUCLA or by filing a Declaration of Candidacy form. Current- and past-term candidates over the 160/172 unit limit must use the form if they are not able to update the degree-expected term through MyUCLA. Once over the unit limit, a fee is assessed each time the degree-expected term is changed.

Declaring candidacy is not a guarantee of graduation.

Note: Current-term candidates are not assigned enrollment appointments for the following term.


The last day to declare candidacy for the current term (with fee depending on units completed) is Friday of the second week of classes, or Friday of the second week of summer session A for the summer term. After this date, a late fee applies in addition to the candidacy fee. Declaration of candidacy after week two may result in a degree-award date for the following term and additional penalty fees.


Most students should declare candidacy through MyUCLA.

If the MyUCLA feature is not available, students can declare candidacy using one of two forms and submit the completed declaration in person to the appropriate student services office.

To contact an adviser or counselor, see academic counseling or use the individual department link.

In compliance with COVID-19-related safer-at-home orders, Registrar forms cannot be accepted in person at this time. If the service is not available online, send the form by e-mail instead. Contact Registrar’s Office units by e-mail or through the MyUCLA Message Center with questions.